Smell is a powerful thing. In fact, some say it’s the most powerful of our senses. But it’s not a well-understood sense by any means. Every now and again, a new study appears with a new set of categories or a new angle, but for now, the definitive answer on how smell really works remains elusive. A recent study set the number of odour categories at 10, but the YASSers think that something about it just smells off. Take a listen to find out why.
After a brief hiatus, the guys are back! Orad and Jesse introduce their new co-host Nina Pariser and discuss smell. Plus, our first legit voicemail!
Here are some scientific references we used while researching this show:
- Categorical Dimensions of Human Odor Descriptor Space Revealed by Non-Negative Matrix Factorization from PLOS one, 18 September 2013.
- An article in the BBC about smell.
- The Science of Scent, a TED Talk by biophysicist Luca Turin.
- How do dogs “see” with their noses? – Youtube video.
- The Smell Report from the Social Issues Research Centre.
- Photo Source: Armin Kübelbeck, CC-BY-SA, Wikimedia Commons
Episode 8 - Making Sense of Smell [ 36 min 18 s ] Play in Popup | Download
Orad- think about this. When you fart, your dog can detect the individual smells within your fart – like… He knows what you’ve eaten based on it.